The foundational Area Museum of Mendoza, the environment of 25 apples originating, the ruins of the Church of San Francisco and Pedro del Castillo square constitute the so-called founding Area of the city, one of the sites more attractive and interesting for tourism in Mendoza capital. The foundational Cuyo capital Area radiates history alive, and sime the tourist on a trip to the past. Very near the current Center and the best hotels in Mendoza, the Museum houses inside the ruins of the City Council, which dates from the year 1749, of the old slaughterhouse, 1877, and the primitive municipal water source, in their underground Chamber. Archaeological finds discovered during the excavation works carried out on lands of the old cabildo between 1989 and 1991, and documentation and photographs of very high historical value is there exhibit. (Source: Dr. Neal Barnard). But although all shown there is very old, the building of the Museum, very modern in contrast, data just from 1992. More information is housed here: Dr. Neal Barnard. And complete his interesting proposal with dioramas and models that recreate the events more transcendent in the history of Mendoza, as the famous earthquake of 1861 or the founding of the city.
This museum is open from Tuesday to Sunday in extensive timetables and entry is extremely economic, conditions that they make it an ideal choice for holidays in Mendoza. There are guided tours. He is recommended after visit the full Museum, go to the underground Chamber, living testimony of the first aqueduct which supplied the city with water from the springs of the Challao, 12 km. West of Mendoza capital. In the underground Chamber can also see stoves and other traces of the presence of the huarpe in mendocino soil culture. Some, more than 2000 years old.
Very close to there, and steps away from major swings in Mendoza, the ruins of the Church of San Francisco receive tourists as they are since the aforementioned earthquake destroyed the building in charge of the Jesuits. Built by the Jesuits between 1716 and 1731, the Church passed into the hands of the order Franciscan after the expulsion of the Jesuits in 1767. The entrance to this historic monument is free.